Broncos win 11th straight, Happy Gilmore a true story, and other exclusive stories
While you were nursing your New Year’s hangunder (it’s OK that you passed out under the kitchen table/a snowbank/a three-foot pile of dog food that mysteriously appeared in your living room – your secret is safe here), here’s what happened on the local stage over the past 24 hours:
- Regina 5 Edmonton 2 … The Pats moved back into second in the East Division, former Swift Current Bronco Jordan Peddle had a third-period scrap, and linesman Derek Nernberg did not smash his man-parts on the goal post. The Pats have now beat the Central Division-leading Oil Kings in all four meetings this season.
- Saskatoon 8 Brandon 2 … Almost 4,600 fans showed up for Turn What Was Supposed To Be A Competitive Game Into A Mollywhopping Night in Saskatoon. The struggling Blades won their second in a row and passed Brandon to move back into third in the East.
- Swift Current 4 Medicine Hat 2 … Big crowd in Swifty as the Broncos got a much-needed two points. Broncos forward Colby Cave fell a goal short of the Gordie Howe hat trick. Swift is 10th in the conference, six points back of eighth-place Calgary.
- Estevan 3 Weyburn 2 … The Big Bad B’s get a measure of revenge for the Dec. 30 drubbing Weyburn handed them, and show they can still hang with the league’s heavyweights. Highway 39 rivals still sitting 1-2 in the Sherwood Conference.
- Melville 3 Yorkton 2 … Highway 10 rivals now tied for third in the Sherwood, battling to avoid the dreaded
Who Cares CupSurvivor Series.
- Humboldt 6 Notre Dame 3 … That’s 11 straight wins for the Broncs and 13th in their last 14 games. There’s nothing left to do but take full credit for jinxing the La Ronge Ice Wolves. Sorry about that, fellas.
- Nipawin 4 Melfort 3 … The Mustangs are awful this year but at least they’re putting up a fight.
In the interest of NOT starting 2012 off by choking on my own vomit, last night’s three stars will thankfully exclude any mention of the Metallica/Ozzy Osbourne collaboration I’m currently watching. Oh yes, this section is for Sasky boys (and gals) only. In no particular order, our kudos to:
Andrew Frieder (Regina Pats) – Added two assists to his modest points total and was a plus-2 in Regina’s win over Edmonton.
Brent Benson (Saskatoon Blades) – Registered his first multi-point game since Nov. 8 and broke a six-game points drought with a goal and a Granny Smith against Brandon.
Andrew Johnston (Humboldt Broncos) – The pride and joy of Beaver Creek had a three-point night (goal, two assists) against Notre Dame and is already just five points short of last season’s total.
Here are some of the best tweets from the Saskatchewan sports scene over the past 24 hours (because we’re too lazy to post anything fun ourselves):
That #32, for those of you who scoring at home, is a dude who got torched all night by the New York Giants. We’re pulling out our Jump To Conclusions Mat as we speak. Will let you know what we come up with.